What is it?
Uterine fibroids, also called leiomyomas, are benign uterine tumors that contain smooth muscle tissue. Fibroids can be located within the uterus itself, within the wall of the uterus, or on the cervix. Because they have estrogen receptors, they generally grow during a woman’s reproductive years and regress after menopause. Symptoms include heavy menses, spotting between menses, pain or pressure, urinary frequency or urgency, and infertility. Often, fibroids are asymptomatic and found during a routine pelvic exam.
• Most common benign tumor found in women
• Majority are asymptomatic
• Most common symptom is abnormal uterine bleeding
• More common in non-smokers
• More common in women who have never had children
• Dietary or environmental influences may play a role in development
• About 10% of all women are affected with fibroid symptoms
• Rarely solitary, commonly multiple
How do we treat it?
A fibroid is a benign, yet inappropriate growth of uterine tissue. This condition may have developed due to issues with hormone balance, in which case we will treat you with dietary and lifestyle counseling as well as remedies to bring your hormones into balance. Or, it may be that your endometrial tissue is more sensitive to your hormones than is necessary, and we will assist your body to become less so over time. Some women find that as they explore hidden emotions, their fibroid symptoms decrease over time. Acupuncture or craniosacral therapy can be very helpful, and we will work with you to devise a comprehensive treatment plan that meets your needs.