What is it?
A condition that is more than skin-deep, acne is a reflection of what is going on in multiple organ systems inside the body. Many patients find that certain things aggravate their acne – foods, stress, travel, hormonal shifts, and other factors – and try to avoid those triggers. However, at Bambú Clinic we look at acne differently. The skin is an organ of elimination – we sweat, in part, to rid the body of waste products. When other organs of elimination like the digestive, respiratory, and urinary tracts are not working properly, the skin must pick up the slack and may produce acne as a way to rid the body of what it does not need. Acne can also be a reflection of a problem in the hormonal system or inflammation in the digestive tract. An individualized approach to each patient is the key to resolving this issue.
• Most common skin disease in the U.S.
• Highest incidence at 16-18 years old
• But, can occur at any age and does not always disappear after puberty
• Open comedones (blackheads), closed comedones (whiteheads)
• Greasiness (oily skin)
• Presence of scars from prior acne cysts
• Various stages of development and severity may be present at the same time
• Common distribution of acne: face, back, and upper chest
• Inflammatory papules, pustules, and enlarged pores
How do we treat it?
We use your health symptoms to guide us in individualizing your treatment plan. Each month, you will receive a specific naturopathic protocol based on what is going on in your body. As we work together, optimizing function of each organ system, your body will begin to eliminate efficiently and rely less on the skin to eliminate wastes. Some patients experience a temporary exacerbation of symptoms as the body clears itself of stored toxins. Once the body learns to eliminate properly through the normal routes, you will even be able to eat less-than-ideal food once in a while without a break-out.