Why equine therapy works to move people through grief, breast cancer, trauma, pain and more…
About a year ago, I was searching for a non-traditional type of therapy to bring healing energy and comfort into my life after the death of my father. I knew I loved horses, the outdoors and really just wanted to be around animals of power, strength, courage and love.
I contacted a women Cathrine who then later shared her experience with me. She was able to recover from her breast cancer with the help of her horse! She asked me why and here was my answer…
The vagus nerve regulates heart beat and breath. The reason you felt so calm every time you mounted the horse was because your body switched to a parasympathetic (relaxed) state, which has a relaxing effect on the rest of the body. When the body is relaxed, the body can room to heal! The reason you laying chest to horse had such a positive and calming effect on the vagus nerve is several things…many of the terminology below is my own, so you can google, but not sure if you will find anything. They are theories I have created via things I’ve been taught along the way!
1. Psycho-bioenergetic field consciousness and control: When person A and person B are in the same energetic space (or human with horse), the living entity that has a purer energy, stronger energetic field (typically means more positive energy) and stronger psychological force- the “weaker” of the two will be drawn energetically into the “masters” energetic field, thoughts, control and consciousness. Ok that was a mouth full! There have been studies showing that when two people where placed in a room, the brains biochemistry of the 2 people began to change and the “weaker” of the two adopted similar patterns to the stronger one.
So, basically, if you feel weak, fearful, undeserving and out of control, when you are in the same energetic space with an animal that may feel empowered, loved, taken care of, deserving and in control….guess who is leading the reins???
SO, if a horse feels empowered and senses a rider that feels weak, the humans biochemistry will change to the pace of the horse (usually calm) when the rider has surrendered to the love and consciousness and pace of the horse.
2. Heart to Heart Chakra: When a person lies their heart chakra on the horses back…you are also connecting directly to the horses heart chakra. Heart chakra to heart chakra is powerful and intense. Especially since the horse’s energy as a whole resembles the heart chakra. It is the animal of love, power and will a combination of heart and solar plexus which are exactly the 2 chakra points that are sharing energy between human and horse.
3. Cat and clock theory: Have you ever heard- place a ticking clock in the bed of a new born cat that doesn’t have its mother- The idea is that the new born has not yet established routine and rhyme in its life. The newborn is living purely off instincts to survival. The clock creates a pattern, a rhyme, a sense of comfort. When a women who feels weak after something like breast cancer- she wants a hug. Love. Appreciation. To know she will be safe. The horses breath and heart creates rhyme to the womens chaotic internal existence. Rhyme allows for the heart to breath with energy = stronger “pumps” = greater detoxification.
4. Lymphatic movement: Lying on the horse creates lymphatic movement which aids in detoxification because you are moving the physical congestion out!
5. Human Instincts: For most patients/clients, not all, we have been taught through societal norms that “we surrender to larger animals because large animals are more powerful and can hurt you and we do not want to get hurt.” So, the heightened excitement that one may feel before mounting a horse, then the clients desire or decision to “release, let go, trust, breath” will not only release old pent up stresses and fears, but also will relax them into the moment and into moving with the breath of the horse which ALL translates into a parasympathetic response (ie: lowered heart rate, lowered breath rate, lower cortisol levels = destressing = room for healing).
6. Simply Energy: Our cells are made of energy. Our cells make up us! WE are made of pure energy. So change your energy with positive thoughts, positive actions, positive affirmations and find the cure! If we are being injected with drugs, weekly doctors appointments, reminded with every office visit, TV commercial, phone call ect that WE ARE SICK…the cells 1.learn to be sick, 2. can forget how to not be sick 3. the drugs can clog our internal system creating greater TOXIFICATION 4. our routes of elimination get weak and function poorly creating more toxicity and our thoughts are often less positive. The horses energy is pure! Being outside, taking clean breaths, doing something healing and having the intention of healing actions, ect all stimulate the cells to take on that healthy vibrational energy and HEAL!
Hopefully that gives you a bit of insight!