With the increase in your works stress and the decrease in your nutrient rich soils, many people are beginning to complain of seeing grays at an earlier age. Here are 10 ways to avoid grays AND the naturopathic way to rebalance your body.
1. Destress- take a nice warm bath at night. start a 10-20 minute daily meditative practice, crawl into bed early with a castor oil pack!
2. Quit smoking- yup, smoking decrease the amount of copper and zinc in your body, it also decreases oxygen from nourishing your cells and increases your levels of toxic chemicals and CO2.
3. Look for copper and zinc deficiencies- here at life in motion, we run nutrient absorption panels to see how well your body is absorbing and utilizing nutrients that are essential to your daily health and body function. See what your copper and zinc levels are. For those who expereince frequent colds, are starting to gray, had a surgery, are taking birth control pills or other pharmaceuticals, I would highly recommend this test!
4. Sugar- omit sugar. Sugar is a killer.
5. Decrease alcohol consumption- alcohol is extremely dehydrating, it also is hard on your liver and kidneys. In Chinese Medicine (and Naturopathic Medicine), the kidneys govern your electrolyte exchange, how hydrated your body is and your vital nutrients. A persona with early grays usually has a kidney imbalance. See your local ND to rebalance your kidneys.
6. Hydration- make sure you stay well hydrated to continue flushing out old toxic elements and bringing in new healthy oxygenated water.
7. Chromium and Selenium- yup, these are two more important minerals that help regulated blood sugar levels, prostate health (for men) and protect your tissues (including bone, hair, nails, collagen)
8. Deep breathing exercises and exercise PERIOD- daily movements helps stimulate oxygenation to every cell in your body. Deep breathing with conscious intention in addition to high impact exercise can help with preventing gray hair.
9. Essential fatty acids- make sure you are getting a healthy balanced diet as well as enough EFA’s and NOT just he Omega 3’s and 6’s but also the “other chain” fatty acids. Consult your doc for better results!
10. Herbs that help with oxygenation such as ginkgo- graying is also caused by a build up of hydrogen peroxide at the follicle of the hair root. The lack of an enzyme called catalase which is used to break down hydrogen peroxide can decrease over time due to stress, chemicals, shallow breathing, alcohol and basically EVERYTHING you just read above!